Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cause Is Offered, but Questions Linger for Inquiry into Train Crash

“Cause Is Offered, but Questions Linger for Inquiry”

Last Friday in Los Angeles, a train crash occurred that ended up killing 25 people. An investigation is now underway to determine the cause of the crash, and see whether it was the train operator’s fault, or a system failure. If it was the operator’s fault, they need to figure out why, and to do this they will conduct a test reconstructing the conditions of the crash. To test whether the signal to stop was working, they will use the same equipment and test it during the same time of day so the angle of the sunlight is identical to when the crash occurred. Also, they will use forensic toxicology tests on all crew members to see if there was any impairment due to drugs.

I think the way they are approaching the investigation is very interesting and useful, especially in their reconstruction of the conditions there were right before the crash took place. It is also very important that they are trying to uncover the real reason the train failed to stop, instead of fully blaming the operator.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/14probe.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=forensic&st=cse&oref=slogin

1 comment:

Emma said...

I think that the author reported on an interesting article. The other articles that have been reported on are not as interesting. I like that this author chose a unique topic. Secondly, I though the explanation was well done. I am not confused about the situation in Los Angeles at all. Lastly, I like that the author gave her opinion. I agree with her: I do not think the operator should be fully blamed without an investigation.
I have two suggestions. I would love to hear the results of this investigation. Perhaps the author could try to include that. Also, maybe a little more detail could be given about the crash itself.
I was really excited when I read this post because I felt that it incorporates a lot of the things we read in the textbook and went over in class, such as failure analysis and toxicology.