Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A New Breakthrough In Time Determination

A Norwegian Professor said that he had developed a device, which is a device that is able to determine the victim’s time of death. He claims that this device can determine the time of death more precisely than it has before. Professor Rognum says that before this device was designed, investigators would use decreasing body temperature and morphological changes in the body. Now, theis new handheld device-the Time Of Death Kit-investigators can increase the accuracy of time of death determination within 36 minutes. Before then, the closest investigators could come to was 90 minutes.
Professor Rognum also said that compared to the 24 hours using temperature sensitive devices, the new method can be used for a period of up to four days. The FBI and Scotland Yard will be testing the TOD (Time Of Death) device, says the Norway Times.

5 comments:

Lauren W. said...

I liked that the author chose a subject related to what we have studied specifically (estimated time of death). The author also did a good job explaining how this devise is better than previous ones, since it works faster. He also did a good job siting his source.
To improve, the author could have included the name of the device and explain how exactly is determines ETD.
I learned that there is a new way to determine ETD.

Christie said...

I thought this was very interesting, and I liked that it is relevant to the lab we did to determine the time of death using the decrease in temperature. I think that you provided good detail, but ways to improve could have included how the device works exactly. I did not know that the TOD could be determined this accurately.

JPGP said...

I thought this was interesting, as it dealt with an issue we've covered, it is being used by the scotland yard, and it is clearly a step forward for forensic science. However, I would love to know more about how it works, and how the professor developed it. That being said, I loved hearing about this very interesting method, as I had not previously heard of the device.

Yasaman said...

I thought this article was very interesting. I thought it was well related to what we have studies in class.What shocked me the most was that I was not awarethat the TOD could determine this accurately. I found this article very interesting.

Anonymous said...

The article was very informative, giving the reader a good amount of detail. I liked that it was related to our recent study of TOD and that the author gave details about previous methods in determining the TOD. The only thing that would have improved the article would be to describe exactly how this method accurately determines TOD. I now know that one can estimate the TOD within nearly 30 minutes.