Thursday, January 8, 2009

ADHD effects boys more so than girls

http://www.brightsurf.com/news/headlines/41340/Study_Finds_ADHD_Affects_Motor_Skills_of_Boys_More_Than_Girls.html

Researchers from the Kennedy Krieger institute came to the conclusion that guys with ADHD are more effected by the illness more so than girls. Due to the idea that a girl will mentally mature much before a guy will, a girl will always have more control with her actions even if she is diagnosed with ADHD. However, a guy with ADHD becomes incapable of controlling himself. It illustrates the difference between guys and girls. MRI images would be the evidence here that displays there is much more activity going on in a guys brain than that of a girls brain. MRI images that are highlighted with several highlighted colors means there is a lot of activity. I thought the article was somewhat self-explanatory because I also understood how the level of maturity in a guy doesn't match up with the maturity of a girl. Also, I know girls and guys who have this condition and I've seen for myself that guys will lose it and girls have more control. 

10 comments:

Lauren W. said...

I thought this article was very interesting. The author did a good job explaining it, presenting it clearly, and giving their own insight. To improve, the author could have explained what the colors meant. I learned that ADHD affects boys and girls differently.

Anonymous said...

Although we already know that guys are smarter than girls, I was very interested in reading more about this topic after reading the article headline. I was interested to hear that it has been scientifically proven that guys have a greater level of difficulty in controlling ADHD then girls. One thing I think you could work on could be to lengthen the article. In addition, it wouldn't hurt to add a couple more facts about the tests scientists took to prove this theory. In the end I believe that this was a well written article.

Oliver said...

This piece on the effects of ADHD and how it is a stronger inside males is very interesting. The differences and similarities were very intruiging. The portion on the colors was good as well though it would have been nice to know what makes them important. Overall this article was very well put together and very insightful.

Yasaman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yasaman said...

I found it very interesting that ADHD has different effects on men and woman. I had never seen it in that way but it does make sense. Lauren did a very nice job explaining the article. In general, this article was very well explained and put together.

Martin Bonventre said...

I thought that this article was very good. I never knew that ADHD could effect males more so than females!!!

Emma said...

I loved the topic choice. It is interesting and relatable. Also, I think the article was well summarized. Lastly, I think the author explained the the article well and gave great insight.
To improve, maybe the post could have been a little longer. Also, maybe the author could have used some quotes from experts.
I never knew ADHD effected boys more than girls.

BXV2009 (John) said...

Wow! Nicely summarized, Lauren. I never knew that boys with ADHD are affected more so than girls. Also, I've also seen it for myself - some of my friends have ADHD, and they really go nuts, but girls... not so much.

Again, great job.

~JDH

Austin said...

This is an interesting article with good details about the study. However, I would like to know how accurate this study really is by seeing follow up studies by different groups

alexa said...

This article was written very well and was very interesting to read. maybe just add a couple more facts about the scientists tests and stuff about that but overall it was a very well constructed article.