Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Forensics: Overweight People Really Are Big-boned.

            My article was about the bone structure of overweight people. Forensic Anthropologists often have trouble determining what a person looked like based on their bones because they can’t tell how heavy that person was in life. A new study at the University of North Caroline shows that you can determine a person’s weight based on the size and shape of their femur and thighbone. Researchers found that the heavier an individual was, the wider the shaft of that person's femur. They think that this is because over weight people have to support more weight and because they walk differently. The study included only white males so only weight could affect the results.
           
            I choose this article because in my statistics class we learned about blocking and only using on portion of the population in a study and this was an actually study where they did that. The article is important to the world because now dry remains can be identified more easily and therefore more killers can be caught.

 The article was good but it could have been longer. Also the researchers were not named and I would have liked to see a case in which this was used.
"Forensics: Overweight People Really Are Big-boned." Science Daily: News & Articles in Science, Health, Environment & Technology. Web. 03 May 2011.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110322105300.htm
posted for J. Weir

1 comment:

Kathleen Moriarty said...

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING COMMENT MAKES FUN OF FAT PEOPLE. IF YOU ARE OVERWEIGHT OR HAVE A CONDITION SUCH AS TYPE 2 DIABETES OR HEART DISEASE, DO NOT READ ON! THIS MAY OFFEND YOU AND RUIN YOUR SELF-ESTEEM! THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE. I’D TURN BACK NOW. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

This current event article really stood out to me. What makes the previous sentence even funnier is the fact that it was about fat people and how they’re “big boned”! (laughs) Anyway, I liked the part about the bone structures, notably the femur, because I found it interesting to read about the bones of people who are bigger and heavier than me. (HA, HA!) In addition, this article reminded me of the lab activity we had done earlier this year, called “This Old Bone”. It brought back interesting memories.
However, this article is a little bit flawed, and I noticed two things that could have been better. First of all, I thought the article was a little biased. Only white males were studied in this article. What about females? And why do they have to be white? What about Asians, African-Americans, or Hispanics/Latinos? Also, the sentence “I choose this article” is grammatically incorrect. It should say, “I chose this article” because the author is speaking in past tense.
Finally, I would like to point out that I am sorry for all the “fat” jokes. If you were offended, I apologize for hurting your feelings. Speaking of feelings, I feel tired right now. So I'm done writing – that’s all for today!