Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Babies placed in incubators decrease risk of depression as adults

I found this article to be very interesting, I clicked on the headline immediatley. Babies who receive incubator care after they are born are less likely to suffer depression as adults according to a new study. This discovery was made by scientists from a hosptial research center in the U.K. The logic is that separation between mother and child after birth is considered a major stressor that can cause problems in adulthood. The mother baby separation could heighten depression in adulthood, so the incubator care could obvoiusly decrease the risk of depression in two out of three cases by the age of 21. Incubators are controlled environments where all senses of the human body are adjusted to maximize neuronal development. "We believe that incubator care is a trigger for a complex chain of biological and emotional factors that helped decrease depression." said the doctor at the University of Montreal. I cannot wait to see how this plays out in the future and am looking forward to seeing more results.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I found that to be quite fascinating! I wonder how that works though being that a new born isn't mentally developed enough to even comprehend any person near them. You summarized the article very smoothly and it caught my eye when I saw it as well. Some scientific proof on how it really is true and some statistics might have been a good addition to your summary, however, it was still done very nicely and to a level of understanding for anyone reading your response to the article that you read.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JPGP said...

i thought this article was very interesting, it clearly was something we knew nothing about until this article, and it was well summarized. I would have liked more information on how exactly it works, and what would be the result if it was used in more instances. That being said, I thought this was very interesting, and I had no idea this was even possible for human children.

Kelly said...

I find this article very interesting. Who knew that depression can be prevented-especially with something such as an incubator. It seems logical. I think it should have been a little bit longer, and maybe with more information about how the incubation system works, as well as maybe the exact science behind it. Otherwise, I think this was a great summary and find it extremely interesting

Anonymous said...

What I liked about Joe's review was that he chose a very interesting topic. In addition, I thought it was good how he explained exactly what an incubator is because I wasn't quite sure. A final aspect of the review that I think was particularly well-presented was the overall analysis of the article. Two things that may have made the article better would be more detail, and a reference to forensic science. Overall Joe did a great job at choosing an interesting topic and analyzing it, and from his review, I now know that incubators can reduce a newborn's risk of later developing depression.

Matt said...

I think this is a very interesting article. The idea of somebody being less depressed when they get older by being placed in an incubator is amazing. This summary was nicely written and easy to follow, however i think the author could have described how this works a little more. Maybe have some statistics that prove this in the summary as well.

Michelle said...

This article is interesting I never knew that babies who are in incubators are less likely to have depression. I thought that incubators were to help premature babies but with this new case it shows otherwise.

laurabora said...

I found the article to be really interesting, and it was very well presented. Although it was really well presented, more details and information would have been good and possibly some facts. I thought it was a really interesting article and I learned something new.