Sunday, November 23, 2008

Video Enhancement of Facial Images

The article I read had to do with new forensic technology which enables investigators to better determine an individual's identity by viewing video surveillance recordings.  Prior to new technology, it was often very difficult to determine an exact identity from security cameras, as they are often in black and white, and very fuzzy.  However, currently they are able to use Adobe Photoshop to make images clearer, and forensic artists can use the light and dark spots on the face in the recordings to determine actual features.  Facial anatomy awareness, as well as computer programs, can be used to make surveillance recordings more accurate.  Most computer programs are available for medium- and large-sized police task forces, and even some small criminal investigation offices.  When used in collaboration with artists who understand light and dark, as well as facial anatomy, suspect sketches may be composed from video recordings that were previously thought to be useless.

3 comments:

Lauren W. said...

I liked that the author explained how the new technology worked, included the name of the new technology, and explained where it was used. To improve, she could have better described what the technology was like before and given any known example of this technology being used to sovle a crime. I learned that the dark and light imaging can help identify facial features.

Emma said...

I thought that this post was interesting. It was relatable. I know how Adobe Photoshop works and use it frequently. It's cool that now forensic scientists are using the same technology as me. I liked how the author explained for what purpose the technology is used. Lastly, I think that article was well summarized. I might suggest including a little more information. Also, maybe some examples of where the technology is used could be given. I learned that surveillance recordings can now play a larger role in solving crimes.

Kelly said...

I find it amazing that these forensic analysists were able to use a program that has non criminal related uses. I would have liked to know where it has been implemented and how effective it was as well. That plays a big part. I learned that surveillance recordings can now become much more useful in solving crimes.